Wednesday, 10 September 2014

"Gentlemen, We Are at Def-Con 3!"

Actually gentlemen (and ladies, boys and girls), it's Blog-Con III: Blog-Con Comes South

Following Dave's last message, I've offered to do a bit of coordinating for the Autumn meet.  It seems to me that it's in the spirit of the Blog-Con idea that it doesn't become the responsibility of any one person, but that we rotate that burden as the venue rotates...

You will answer promptly
and with the right answers!

As we've only got a short time if we're going to go ahead in October or November I'm going to have to get a hustle on.  I'm going to ask some questions now, and when it comes to booking the venue.  It would help very much if you would put your answers and comments either in the comment's section or e-mailed to me at diplomatist2  AT gmail DOT com.


Norwich - We Dew Things Diffrent...

For ease of admin it would be helpful to me if we could meet in Norwich

  1. I would love to come to Norwich - it's a Fine City!
  2. Hmm, Norwich is a little difficult to get to (and they're funny out that way...)
  3. Good God!  Anywhere but Norwich
  4. How about Cambridge/Peterborough/Stamford?
My comment - Don't underestimate the advantage of feet on the ground and local knowledge.  Norwich would enable me to sort out venues and any problems much easier than anywhere else.

What kind of venue would you like to see?
  1. Something that is part of  'an attraction'
  2. Somewhere with a decent amount of space and facilities, like a church or scout hall
  3. Whatever, but it needs to be easily found, near shops and preferably near a good pub with decent food and drink.
I have a place in mind that is a combo of 2 & 3...

Will You Come?
  1. All things being equal, yes.
  2. Perhaps, if we can move the venue.
  3. I'd like to, but not this time.
It would be a great help to have an indication of numbers, even if  at this stage they are uncertain ones. 

Can You Bring/Run a Game?
  1. Yes 
  2. No
  3. Perhaps...
If you can put a game on, please let me know what it would be, what kind of space you need, etc

Would You Like to See a Bring&Buy Element?
  1. Yes
  2. No
  3. Don't care
Please comment on this post - it will help shape the meet!

20 comments:

  1. Thanks for stepping in Edwin..

    If I can come I will...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd look forward to it if you could.

      Would you be able to bring a game?

      Delete
    2. Oh if i can come , I will bring the cowboys...or gangsters if enough by then.

      Delete
  2. Aha! Blog-Con3! My answers:

    Norwich
    Good God! Anywhere but Norwich
    (sorry Edwin, but I'm West Country way, so Norwich is a looooooong way. It would virtually rule out my attendance)

    What kind of venue would you like to see?
    All three would be ideal! Findable and suitable are key.

    Will You Come?
    Perhaps, if we can move the venue.

    Can You Bring/Run a Game?
    No (or 'preferably not at the moment')

    Would You Like to See a Bring&Buy Element?
    Yes (more like a 'swap shop' amongst friends?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Norwich is... not exactly central, but I can understand picking it if it is where you know good venues with lots of parking, plenty of space for games and good food/drink. Preferably near a good, cheap B&B ;)

    Depending on the date, I would be tempted (yes, I know I said that last time too... work sucks at times).

    I don't really have any games or terrain I can bring at the moment unfortunately. Well... I guess I could bring Zombicide if you don't mind half painted games ;)

    I've got a few bits that I'd like to clear out if I do get to come, so yes to a bring & buy/swap shop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think we're ruled Norwich out...

      Zombicide would be good...

      Delete
    2. If I can make it, I will bring Zombicide and run a game or two for people. That should give me some drive to paint some more figures :D

      Delete
  4. Nothing to do with me really as I couldn't make it for a variety of reasins, but it's a well thought out set of options and (FWIW) and should get a positive result.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you go onto Google maps and check where the yellow/good roads are, you will note the awful gaping absence of good roads anywhere near Norwich. Out of preference I would see the venue moved to Peterborough or Cambridge perhaps, but basically anywhere but Norwich. May I suggest Slayer Gaming in Mansfield also? Despite the rather fanciful name they are very well set up to host historical games too. Parking there is excellent and free, I have run an event there previously and will be going back again soon. Booking a table or two is free and booking the (very large) gaming hall out is £50. I will certainly attend unless the venue is Norwich. I was hoping to play Dave's Serenity game this time but I will have a back up organised in case he can't make it. Not fussed about a bring and buy tbh. Did I mention Norwich was a terrible idea for a venue, buried in those wild, uncivilised fens as it is? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know the problems with Norwich (which isn't in the fens, by the way - you're thinking of Cambridge and Peterborough there!)

      Delete
    2. Nope, definitely Norfolk, all fens and broads the lot of it. That's why all the local people have webbed fingers and toes.

      Delete
    3. I got in a bit of a pickle with that when I first moved here. I said in the local "You do know that the rest of the world think you have webbed feet, don't you?". I turned out that the bar-staff (it's a family run pub) do all have webbed feet !!!

      Delete
  6. Norwich:
    1 / 4 I would love to come to Norwich, although Peterborough (or Mansfield) is a lot easier to get to (and would be my preference)

    What kind of venue would you like to see?
    Any of the three would be ideal! Something you feel comfortable finding and booking is the big requirement.

    Will You Come?
    Yes - depending on the precise date (I have a couple of dates I'm not in the UK, which straddle weekends).

    Can You Bring/Run a Game?
    Yes, and happy to. It will depend on which car I bring. Minimum size 2’x2’ (smaller car), Maximum size 4’x4’ (bigger car) (I). Probably Great War.

    Would You Like to See a Bring&Buy Element?
    Yes (as with Phil’s response, more like a 'swap shop' amongst friends?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your replies.

      It's very helpful that you'd be happy to run a game - that'll pull in some more punters!

      Delete
  7. Excellent idea to hold another meeting !

    Although I would love to make your acquaintance a trip over the channel is a bit too long and too expensive momentarily. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that'll I'll finde a way to join some of you one day. Hopefully we'll have our summer holiday in Britain when the girls are a bit older.

    For now I whish you a great time and a bunch of fun in Norwich!
    I'm really looking forward to seeing some pictures.

    Cheers
    Stefan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shame you couldn't come, but it would be over-and-above the call of duty to expect you to!

      Delete
  8. Ooooo...a more southerly blog-con sounds good to this particular Londoner. I drove to Nottingham for Blog-Con 1 but the round trip drive was too much in a day.

    Personally Norwich is still pushing the envelope for a day-trip, and unfortunately I'm not able to do a stay-over... Cambridge might be a better option (for me).

    ReplyDelete
  9. A little bit late responding I'm afraid.

    Norwich - this would have been good for me, as it would have been a fine excuse to visit my brother

    Venue type - no preference

    Will I come? - depends on date and fatigue

    Can I put on a game? - possibly, but for mob wars I'd need a lift from someone with a car as there's no way I could get it there by public transport.

    Bring & buy - no preference

    ReplyDelete
  10. Norwich, well I am there midweek late October so could do that day :-)

    Run a game? possibly, depends on if I have the time to sort, will be there if at all possible, Peterborough and Cambridge are makeable

    Ian

    ReplyDelete